Sunday, March 9, 2008

Welcome! The countdown has started!

Welcome to this new blog for a new challenge: my Channel Triathlon Dover-Heidelberg 2008!

Only 5 months to go until the big event which is scheduled for the tide of 7th to 16th of August. High time to note down some of my experiences and thoughts on the way. I consider it a special blessing to have Alison Streeter, the Queen of the Channel (43 crossings!) and good friend of some of our Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team swimmers, as my pilot, which came quite as a surprise, since she got her own boat only this year! (Before I was forth place for early July - very iffy!)

After the international 12 h indoors swim in Zurich 2 weeks ago on Feb. 24th, where I completed my 27.2 k quite happily and kind of easy-going ("she is still smiling"!) with enough time for lunch, coffee and massage, the next longer training session is the 6 h Self-Transcendence Race in Nurnberg on March 15th, which will give me an opportunity to also meet my parents and my sister's family. My parents usually come towards the end to help at the food table, pick up cups from the ground or to give me a push on the uphill section - and to enjoy the great atmosphere.

In Zurich it was quite inspiring to meet Arthur Puckrin (born 1938, photo below) in my lane, swimming very steadily and obviously enjoying himself all the way. He finished two Deca-Ironmen (10x ironman distance) in 2006 and is still going strong. Made me feel like a youngster. He is a perfect example of my teacher Sri Chinmoy's motto: "Age is in the mind, but not in the heart."

No comments: