Saturday, April 5, 2008

Time Is Flying - Nürnberg - Rome - New York


Running inspiration from Tegla Loroupe at the World Harmony Run in Rome


Only four months to go.

My training is still relatively "easy-going" compared to a serious triathlete. But I know from experience, if I do too much on a daily basis, I will get injuries. In between longer distances right now I am swimming or running for 45 min. or 1 hour a day, plus a little bit of weights. After my meditation-retreat in New York next week, things will get more intense and biking will start.

The 6 hour Self-Transcendence Race in Nürnberg on March 15 with its spring-like temperatures was great cardio-training (more on my German blog - using an online translator can give quite an amusing angle to the German version!), although 46 k in 6 hours is "nothing" compared to some of my ultrarunning friends who are training for the 10 day Self-Transcendence Race in New York, running 40 and 70 k back to back on 2 consecutive days just like that. But it is futile to compare myself to them. I am always happiest, if I can take inspiration from others and try to do my best in a given situation. So I was perfectly happy even though I finished with 100 m less than the year before - due to a bit more body weight and 15 minutes in the medical tent, but speeding up again at the end and feeling fine afterwards. This is what has always inspired me about Sri Chinmoy's philosophy in regard to sports: the main thing is not to challenge others, but to challenge yourself - with the help of others.

What gives life its value,
If not it
s inner cry
For
self-transcendence?

- Sri Chinmoy




Team work: my dad (helper on the bike), Pragya (organiser), myself and Inessa (helper)
more photos

The European Opening Ceremony of the World Harmony Run in Rome on March 27th was a very special training: running with former marathon world record holder and UNICEF ambassador Tegla Loroupe and hundreds of children with a flaming torch as a symbol for world harmony and friendship from the FAO to the Colosseum, the Campidoglio and on .... (see the report and more photos on www.worldharmonyrun.org)




For me the World Harmony Run, which dates back to 1987, is like an ultra-ultra-ultra-marathon. One may think the goal of world harmony is millions of miles away, if it can ever be achieved. But each little step or contribution of each individual brings the goal closer, and here each little step is so much more joyful than not doing it! Each step even embodies the goal itself. By embarking, as an amateur athlete, on a challenge like the Channel Triathlon I hope to be able to inspire people to feel that with our inner power and vision more things are possible than we normally would dare to dream of.

Next will be the Heidelberg Halfmarathon on April 27th, which is quite challenging due to the hilly route. This week was my last chance to run basically the whole route as a 2 1/2 h training run. It is extremely scenic, winding along the philosopher's path to Ziegelhausen and back on the other side passing above the Heidelberg Castle, with beautiful views into the Neckar valley, and I enjoyed every bit of it, having picked a perfect day and time weatherwise (dry and cool, early evening.)



In regard to swimming I am yearning for open water - the indoor pools are just too warm! But the Neckar is not really tempting, I love clear water. Cold showers have been my only cold-water training this year. Maybe in New York next week there will be a chance to take a dip in the ocean at Jones Beach! The next long swim will be May 1st, just before the 12 hour race in Basel, and then the first Dover-weekend is coming up!

2 comments:

M said...

NICE BLOG
WILL CHECK BACK SOON
HAPPY TRAINING
MARK

HTTP://SWIMMINGTHECHANNEL2008.BLOGSPOT.COM

Vasanti said...

Thanks, Mark. And happy training, too. See you in Dover.

Vasanti