Sunday, June 15, 2008

June 14/15th - Same Lake, Different Experience (2x 5 hours)



The weather forecast for this weekend was REALLY WET and REALLY COLD (down to 8 °C in the morning). Good for Channel training - but I was not sure if I would be able to do my planned 5 hour back-to-back swims under the conditions in the lake, again, all by myself (next weekend's long swim in lake Constance will be with friends). If I would be freezing after 3 hours in the lake I would continue in the nearby pool. And for Sunday, where rain was forecast for the whole day, I had already resigned myself to the idea of just pool-swimming - since biking to and from the lake to the train station in the cold rain with 5 hours in cold water did not feel safe.

Saturday: Big surprise. Almost blue skies and morning sun welcomed me at the "Silbersee" (Silver Lake) near Roxheim around 10 a.m and stayed out most of the time, resulting in an unexpected sunburn. The water was fresh (approx. 19-20°C) compared to the week before or the swimming pool, but not cold. And perfectly clear. The breeze, which picked up just a little, was much colder. 5 hours went by, in one hour laps from feed to feed, not easily but in a way that felt encouraging. Hot ginger tea with maltodextrine, egg wafers again, raisins and energy gel kept me going.

After 5 hours (15 km) I wasn't sure if I should continue for one more hour, since I still felt quite good and not too cold. Definitely I hadn't given it my all yet. But by now I was determined to come back to the lake the next day for at least part of the second 5 hours even if it was going to be raining and colder. So it felt o.k. to save something for a possibly tougher swim on Sunday.

So I took the 1-hour bike route back to Mannheim instead of going to the nearest train station, stopped by the MTG stadium to watch a bit of American Football for a change, which gave me a nice feeling of New York, Queens, (where the headquarters of our Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team are located) and some good laughs ("where is the ball" - even the stadium announcer lost track at times). Even if you are not sure about the rules, it can be more entertaining than soccer. Which reminds me of Calvinball. At home I felt I had done the right thing - good training, but still enough hunger for the next day.

Dancing With the Waves

Sunday: Almost a ritual now, catch the 7:54-train, arrive at the lake around 9:30. The weather forecast had mercifully changed to only bits of rain. When I arrived, no wildlife, but lifeguards already on duty. Sky overcast, but as I greased up and got ready to step into the water, the sun came out briefly. Good morning! The water was colder than the day before.

During the first 3 hours the sun would peep through the denser clouds every now and then. Half a lap later, a black cloud appeared suddenly, and immediately the rain started pouring down and the wind picked up as I was swimming back to finish my 4th hour. It felt great to have a bit of a challenge, finally some waves! A much better workout and much more inner joy. Swimming in the rain is actually very beautiful, feeling the elements, as long as there is no lightning.

As I got out of the water for some hot ginger tea and raisins and to see if my stuff was well covered up, the liveguards were leaving the empty beach. "Are you finished?" they asked me. "No, one more lap;" I told them. (They had been there basically just to watch me swim, it seemed.) "In this rain?" they asked. I chuckled. In the water it was much nicer than outside. And even warmer. So back again, enjoying the peaceful rain and especially past the protecting peninsula on the left, halfway into the lap where the lake opens more, really enjoying "dancing with the waves", with the wind pushing from the back. No need to occupy the mind anymore - just swimming and enjoying the elements and the movement and the feeling of energy and rhythm.

The two fishing men on the other shore were still there (they had watched me over the last weeks from different places and today asked me about my swimming - it felt a bit like a small "lake family" with the lifeguards etc.), otherwise the lake was completely deserted.

On the way back to finish the 5th hour I was swimming against the wind, happily punching the waves. Great workout for the arms and the whole body. I should actually always check for bad weather to go to the lake even during the week! The rain was subsiding now, and the sun started to peep out again, making the waves glitter like silver.

My goggles, both pairs, had been giving me a lot of trouble today - a good reminder just at the right time to get a couple of new ones and swim them in for the big day. So I was just grateful there were no sailing boats or surfers out there today.

When I reached the shore, I was sure Freda would have sent me back in for another lap, or two, but I enjoyed the bit of warmth the sun was giving by now and took the opportunity to get to the train station dry before the next rain cloud would arrive. Back in Heidelberg, biking over the bridge in Ziegelhausen, the clouds were so dark and the wind was so "cold" (15°C, versus 13°C in Dover!!!) that thinking of having swum for 5 hours in a lake felt like it must have been on a another planet.

Next weekend will be longer, hopefully, at lake Constance, in colder temperatures

6 comments:

andrea said...

Hi Vasanti,
I'm happy to know about your blog.
Your reports are a flow and glow of an energy and they give me a lot of joy and inspiration! Have joyful trainings until the big event!

I thought of you on Sunday when I visited your beautiful city!

Vasanti said...

Thanks Andrea,
to feel that others may get joy and inspiration is in turn an inspiration and motivation for me!
I am happy you enjoyed your visit to Heidelberg!
Vasanti

M said...

brilliant work V.
I am impressed with your mental strength to swim alone for 5 hours...twice..
I wont be back to dover now for 3 weeks so will try to do some good swims at home
best wishes and thanks for your comments re Charlie

Mark

Anonymous said...

Your mindset and endeavours are truly inspiring.

Enda Kennedy said...

Hi vasanti
Thats Great work you are doing well done.
endakennedy.blogspot.com

Enda Kennedy

Vasanti said...

Thanks - I just love the water, the lake, swimming into "infinity" - that makes it easier. But the lake is "tame" - Dover conditions are much harder, but I am getting there....