Monday, June 30, 2008

June 28/29 - Silver Lake III - 7 & 5 Hours

In the Middle of a Regatta Again - and Flashback to 1985



It would have been nice to go back to lake Constance for 6 or 7 hours of more waves and cold water - but it was too complicated with helpers, plus I have to watch my expenses... Also the official lake temperature had become "hot" - about 23°C - hard to tell what the temperature in the colder parts would be. I googled the web for cold lakes, but they were all too far away - considering I am going to Dover on Friday for a weekend.

Since the forecast for my home lake, the "Silver Lake", was windy with medium temperatures and slightly overcast, I finally was happy to stay. Instead I decided to use the opportunity for a long split swim: 7 hours on Saturday and 5 on Sunday - or so. And to leave early at 6:54 - which I did, at least on Saturday.

In 1985 I had done a 12 hour swim at the end of June in preparation for my scheduled Channel swim end of July (which finally only happened in September, due to the weather). Back then it was something totally new, so of course I had helpers in a kayak, to feed me every 30 minutes when I reached one of the shores. We had come to the lake around 6 o'clock in the morning, the early morning atmosphere had been simply breathtaking with its peace and purity, and we had a great day together on the lake, with other team members joining for shorter periods of time.

I still remember my first attempt at using Channel grease (the water was much colder then): I put it ON my bathing costume! When I stepped into the water, the bathing suit started to bulge, the grease hardened in the cold water and I felt like a buoy - resistance training or what? My friend had to drive back home (20 min. one way) to get me another swimming suit while I was bravely swimming the first lap "au naturel" all by myself. (The other helpers only came later.)

So this time the 12 hours would be split - which I thought was fine with much more long distance background. I didn't want to bother anybody to help, since I am quite happy alone at the lake, and if you are just a helper it can be quite boring. Plus, of course, I am in no way alone - lifegards, kids, families, surfers - a big lake family again.

By the way, my helper-friend from 1985, who was 4 years younger than me, passed away only recently due to a brain tumour. I was kind of dedicating these 12 hours to her. It made me aware again and only strengthened my determination: You never know how much time you are given here on earth - so always try to fulfill your dreams here and now - not in some distant future! Like some coaches say: at the end of your life, what counts is not how much money you earned or how many hours you worked in the office!

The first two hours of the 7-hour swim were difficult again - no sun, everything bleak and dark, water not too warm, but also not cold (around 20°C). My mind seriously tried to convince me to go back home and have a good day's rest and swim more tomorrow! I asked my mind, if it really thought it would feel at the right place at home. And also, what would I write on my blog? Then the wind picked up and it was fun punching the waves again - even for my mind. Then the surfers came, and I was told I was in the middle of a regatta again and could I not swim closer to the shore. Amazing effect: after a slight feeling of annoyment (this is OUR lake) I got out of my old routine into a new route - and that newness gave me joy! Again - so often in life we stick to our patterns and get annoyed if someone disturbs them - but it can bring joy to try and discover something new!

During the 6th hour, when my arms and shoulders were hurting from the waves, I had to argue with myself - go home and do 6 or 7 the next day, or continue? But who knows what will happen tomorrow! Now the sun was out, it was not even 4 p.m. - o.k., one more lap. The water felt colder than in the morning - my system still needs much more training! Or too much coffee lately?

Next day I started late to avoid the morning regatta - only to find the windsurfers had left, and there was no wind anyway. So 5 easy hours, I thought. The sun came out soon, it warmed up during the day considerably, but I often felt chilly and allowed myself longer breaks. The first half lap felt like slow motion - or even swmming backwards, with muscles all stiff from the day before. But it was only 2 min. slower than usual. Then I got into the rhythm again, as if as a continuation from the day before, counting not 1,2,3 etc. laps but 8, 9, 10.... Why can't you start at the 3rd hour - or even 7th? When the fun really starts...

At the 12th lap I would have loved to add one more - but my body didn't want to, and I didn't feel comfortable to push myself. So I biked back to Mannheim again through the fields - and enjoyed the afternoon sun and the quiet countryside with a deepened sense. I chuckled. Christian Hübner, how had swum the Channel on Tuesday, had been asked after a 24 hour swim, how he felt: His answer was "clean". That is also true in a deeper sense, like Alison Streeter, "Queen of the Channel" says: these long swims can open secret inner doors, behind the everyday garbage or rubbish. It occured to me again, that "exercise", training, and the latin word "exercitium" for spiritual discipline are closely related.

In the evening I watched the soccer finals in a restaurant garden with friends in a quite detached mood - and was very happy for the Spanish to win because they clearly were the best team (sorry, Germany, but second place is a great achievement, too, and also progress).

The next morning I felt like I had been in a retreat, a deep sense of inner calmness, tranquility and serenity. Difficult to get back into office mode.

1 comment:

M said...

see you in Dover at the weekend!