Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dover "Training Camp", Part 1

Sorry for the delay - laptop didn't work, camera gave up (I did exchange batteries, not knowing, however, that it only seems to work on accus or Duracell) - and now, typing away at the Dover Marina, I cannot upload any photos. (Pictures will be added later.)

Otherwise things are great!

Arrived on Thursday afternoon (24th July) by train and ferry again, totally enjoying the crossing and being out on the Channel again. Even went for a half hour dip in choppy harbour water in the evening sun before bedtime, another 1 hour dip next day - keeping it short for the 7/6 swims on the weekend, but trying to get the body used to the water temperature. It was nice meeting other swimmers on the beach and in the water, like Lynne Smith, who brought me some Advil I might need for the bike and running leg, Cliff Golding and Laura, Marcy MacDonald and others, and sharing experiences and inspiration. Greetings to Bea, Vedika and Vijaya if you are reading! And Praphulla!

The weekend - first split Channel swim in 16 degree C water (July 26/27 - 7 + 6 hours)

We were very lucky with the weather this time. The sun was out, giving the helpers and the swimmers a much easier time, although quite a sunburn to some, and the water was almost flat.

The 7 hours passed quite uneventfully - no collisions, no hitting on my head from behind. This time I fed not only Maxim but pieces of Swiss Lemon Cream Roll every hour after the second, in addition to half a banana and chocolate roll handed by Barry, Beccy and Cliff along with lots of positive and encouraging words. So plenty of carbohydrtes to keep me warm, but again my hands froze after the first hour, getting back to normal over the next hours. The only problem was a strange paralysed feeling in the groins which I tried to counteract with some stretching. It came back the next day, but today I was fine again. The 7 hours felt harder than the 7 hours at home, probably due to the cold. I felt best, however, during the last two laps. My shoulders and arms were fine in the evening, and the same after the 6 hours next day.

It was nice to meet more swimmers and faces well-known from blogs and Channel chat group - e.g. Beccy and Hoffy, Chris Poutney, Leanne, who is going to Zurich next weekend etc. And I was very happy to see some swimmers back fit and positive who had had some motivational or physical problems over the last few weeks. This is one of the great aspects of Channel swimming or long distance sports in general: mostly you are happy when other people are doing well and you sincerely try to encourage and support each other. Only very few are here to beat others and establish records - mostly the goal is challenging yourself and transcending your perceived limits.

Sunday was very similar to Saturday, only one hour less, luckily, I thought - although like most others I could easily have done one hour more physically, just mentally it can be a relief to know you are on the last lap - again, this was when I felt happiest.

Monday - bike day

I had asked Freda for advice on my training schedule for the next week, and she had "given me a day off", and recommended 3 and 4 hour swims the following days. I was hoping for bumpy water now, to get my muscles a bit bigger still. The weekend there would be a regatta in the harbour, so there would only be 4 hour swims maximum for everyone anyway. Then tapering towards the 7th.

So on Monday I took "my" mountain bike, which the owners of Westbank Guest House are allowing me to use, and had a hilly but leisurely and very scenic training ride along the bike trail to St. Margrets Bay, Deal and Sandwich where I wanted to visit the Sectret Gardens (not quite as striking as I had hoped). I spent all day, taking lots of pictures until the camera died and replacement batteries didn't help, and took the busy road (A258) back - but cars were very considerate. Coming back I passed by the harbour, which attracts me like magic, and met Freda and Alison, just to collect a scolding from Freda for not really taking the day off ( I explained to her that my training is not limited to swimming), and some helpful sharing of information with Alison.

Tuesday

Just two 1 1/2 hour dips in very lumpy water, nice Channel chats with other swimmers and helpers, e.g. Brent Hobbs who did a great sub 10-hour swim, accompanied by dolphins, the day before and was going in just for a short dip now. (Check his website for an inspiring report!: http://englishchannelogopogo.blogspot.com/) I am trying to hear about as many experiences as I can - there is always something to learn. Tomorrow 4 hours, hopefully.

No comments: