Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekend-Triathlon (6:30, 6:30, 2:30) - and Getting Ready to Go!

July 19./20.

It will be VERY difficult - if not a miracle. But I believe in miracles. I have experienced them.

Friday was my last workday at my part-time job, now I am going to concentrate only on my big event and getting things organised before I leave for Dover on Thursday. I will take some translation and web work with me, but I don't expect too much to get done over there.

Saturday: Bye-bye Silver Lake

This weekend I knew I had to do some more biking and running (I can't take my bike to Dover). So Saturday saw me at the lake again, for the last time in a while, only around 9:30 a.m. When I arrived it just started raining. While taking shelter to avoid my bag and clothes getting wet, I got into a conversation with a former police sports lady walking Titus, a cute poodle, about the beauty of swimming, especially alone in the peaceful rain, the general fattening of "civilised" humanity (Channel swimmers not included) and other related subjects. By the time I got into the water around 10 a.m. I had missed the opportunity to swim in the rain - the sun was coming out.

6,5 hours in even windier and choppier conditions than last week - very grateful for this good training, arms felt better, nothing really hurt, just felt a bit strained at the end. More conversations mit the DLRG people (lifeguards) in between who wanted to know more details. Saw a huge carp, like the king of the lake, for the first time ever (there are supposed to be lots of them), met a swimmer in the middle of the lake and totally enjoyed swmming side by side with her for some time. She had no cap and almost got run over by the windsurfers, so took some shelter at my side (with bright red cap). Not 7 hours because I talked too much to people and wanted to catch the 7:30 train for an appointment at night, having to bike 1 hour back to Mannheim train station again.

Sunday: My bike needs repair

Instead of a scenic and hilly bike tour I decided to bike my running leg via Weinheim and Hembsbach to Worms and on to Wörrstadt (80 km), and if possible a few km more. I had hoped for 160-200 km for a last really good bike training. During the week I had done two 4 hour sessions (partly hilly), interrupted by a 1 hour swim each in the Waidsee in Weinheim. Otherwise it was usually just 1 hour bike per day to the pool and back (or to Kieser), plus another hour to work and back.

My intuition to check out the running route again was right. I discoverd a few tricky places where we might have gotten lost with the helper's van, or at least would have done unnecessary extra miles, and stretches where a helper on a bike is needed because the van cannot stop for a long time.

However, after 60 km, where it started getting a little hilly, my small gears stopped functioning properly, the chain was too loose and continued jumping. With the risk of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere I had no choice but turning round and biking back. It still took me 6.5 hours including checking those tricky spots and a cappuchino break, and although I did only 125 km or so, I felt pretty wiped out when I arrived at home. How to do 560 km after 15 hours (or more) swimming? In the triple ironman it is only 12 km swimming - but there I did less bike-training and it still worked....

Evening half marathon

After about 3 hours rest and some food (still trying things out) I went out for an (longer/shorter - very relative terms) evening run along the Neckar, first to Neckargemünd and back in the setting sun, with a fresh breeze. Short stop at home, then another lap towards Heidelberg city and back in the dark, along a well lit road - about 21 k in 2:30 hours. Felt really wiped out afterwards. But still I know I could have continued somehow. For the running leg I don't expect to need less than 15 hours (about 8 hours per marathon in the triple-ironman, including breaks).

The next three days will be organising - van, bike-repair, replacement bike, helpers (safe only until the middle of the tide, if I swim late there will be a shortage, because of work appointments of some helpers), food and gear to take on the van, writing out instructions and routes etc. Looking very much forward to Dover to get some peace and rest, along with the intensified Channel training.

Wishing all the other swimmers all the best in their preparations and the actual swim, and see you soon there!

And HUGE THANKS to all my helpers, supporters and well-wishers, inner and outer. An event like this can only be a team-effort!

No comments: