Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Things Get Rolling



Tasty food - an important part of Channel training!

Anticipation - talking to my goggles

Today, when I bought an extra pair of those Speedo goggles I have come to like so much, this time with a pale purple rim to distinguish them from the older bluish ones, it was so cute, I was talking to them with a deep inner conviction: "You are going to accompany me to Calais!" I know you have to be very humble towards the Channel (I liked very much when Christian Hübner, who had the first successful Channel crossing this year, used this word) - even with your best preparation or capacities, you never know what the Channel has in store for you as a learning experience.

This year, for the first time since my first swim, I feel completely surrendered. I am not afraid of failure or defeat. It is not in my hands. At the same time I am very confident and increasingly full of anticipation - with 2 more weeks of Dover training I should be ready to go.

As I am packing and organising to leave for Dover on Thursday, the inner joy is getting more intense. Things start to fall into place, although there are still a few loose ends - the extra bike, helpers. But it will come. I remember back in 1991, when we did a humanitarian help convoy to Russia, the last drivers joined at the last minute - and everything turned out easier than we imagined, weather, customs, roads etc. I love the vibration of these "very special" events - they take you like on a different level with a deeper inner intensity.

Thank you

I want to thank again all those who have helped or supported me in this project and are continuing to do so.

For example the Waves team - the owners and workers at the vegetarian restaurant Effulgence Waves in Heidelberg, who have offered me free meals for the last few weeks (and I have gladly accepted it, working almost next door, not only the desserts, but also Mexican omlette, tortillas, burritos, tofu-salad and so on...).



From the left: Kai, a great runner (just broke his arm biking), Marc, who joins the World Harmony Run whenever he has an opportunity, and Saumya, who was an incredibly selfgiving and inspiring helper on my boat back in 1985 (photo by Kallol, who ran the Marathon des Sables some time ago and absolutely refused to be in the picture himself). Also mssing is Tusheet, an ultra distance runner, who just finished the 100 k of Biel.

The restaurant will also be a "liaison office" where people can get news about my event once we are off to Calais and then to Heidelberg (Tel. +49 (0)6221-22814) If you should ever come to Heidelberg, don't miss stopping by! Ask for Channel swimmers' special!

Btw, the weather is crazy over here - the evening air just now is colder than the Channel. Monday and today have been very cold and rainy - I am just infinitely grateful for the sunshine over the weekend, I don't know if I would have done as much training otherwise. Today one hour swim, one hour biking, same tomorrow.

in Dover I will be staying at the Westbank Guest House until the 7th, and then move to Varne Ridge Holiday Park with my helpers.

1 comment:

Hoffy Swims said...

Hi Vasanti - great to meet you in Dover this weekend, and all our best wishes with your swim. See you next weekend no doubt.

Kind regards.

Hoffy & Bex.